Sunday, November 21, 2010

Giving Thanks

Well it's has been a long while since I posted anything on this blog and I think it's long overdue. As many people know our son,Iraia, was born with hypoplastic left-heart syndrome(a very serious heart defect) as well as having a brain injury from a stroke he suffered during his second open heart surgery. I wanted to really dedicate myself to this blog so I can not only share all the Palmer family happenings but keep our loved ones up to date on Iraia's health condition.

Lately I have had a few encounters that have reminded me how blessed we are to have such a thriving, alive little boy. A couple of weeks ago I was in line at the pharmacy up at Primary Children's Hospital when I met an incredible young mother. It was the day before Halloween and she was waiting for a prescription as well. Her little girl was excitedly looking at the fish in the tank by the window and someone asked this mother why her daughter had to wear a mask over her nose and mouth. Being the nosy person I am I listened intently for the answer. " Oh, my daughter had a heart transplant this summer and so we have to be careful of the germs going around." That brought on a lot of questions from the other woman and I kept eavesdropping.

Eventually I chimed in that my son was scheduled for heart surgery in January and she asked me why. As soon as I said hypoplastic her face turned from a strangers into a friends. Her little girl was born with the same defect and we instantly had a kinship formed. Honestly all I wanted to do was talk to her but I only had a few minutes and so we exchanged info and when I got home I logged into her blog. Man she has been through a lot or even more correct her little girl has been through a lot. We haven't been through a major surgery with Iraia yet and it has been eye opening and at times pretty scary to read her posts. I wish we could have been with Iraia during his first two surgeries. It must have been so scary to be there without a Mom and Dad to comfort him surrounded by strangers.

I can't believe I am saying this but reading through her blog made me grateful we are older parents. I am not sure I would have been able to handle all that comes with a very sick child when I was younger. Hopefully the saying is true that with age comes wisdom.

I am so thankful and humbled that Heavenly Father has blessed our son with a vivacious, fighting spirit. He never gives up. He knows innately that with God all things are possible. The video above is a great example of him never giving up.  He is holding a marker with his right hand, which has taken him months to accomplish. Awesome, just awesome! Happy Thanksgiving everyone it is going to be a great one!!!

1 comment:

  1. That smiley guy sure is a bright spot in our family. So grateful that we have all of you!

    ReplyDelete